Postoperative Instructions For “UPPP” Surgery
- Resume regular activities two (2) days after surgery.
- Soft diet for the first two to three (2-3) days (avoid citrus and spicy food).
- Drink plenty of liquids, stay away from alcohol for two to three (2-3) days.
- Sleep with your head elevated for several days.
- Gargle gently with diluted salt water every six (6) hours for one (1) week. (2 teaspoons salt to 1 cup water)
- You may brush your teeth and use diluted ALCOHOL FREE mouthwash as necessary.
- Your throat will look somewhat reddened with a white coating. This is normal. You may have occasional blood tinged saliva. This is also normal.
- Your physician may provide you with a prescription for pain medication and antibiotics. Take them as prescribed.
- Call the office if you are experiencing:
Excessive pain with inability to swallow.
Fever greater than 101.5.
Continuous bleeding or vomiting.
- Be sure return for your follow-up appointment for post operative check.