Postoperative Instructions For LAUP
- Resume regular activities after surgery.
- Soft diet for the first 2-3 days (avoid citrus and spicy food).
- Drink plenty of liquids, stay away from alcohol for 2-3 days.
- Sleep with your head elevated for several days.
- Gargle gently with room temperature tap water every 6 hours for one week.
- You may brush your teeth and use diluted alcohol free mouthwash as necessary.
- Your throat will look somewhat reddened with a white coating. This is normal. You may have occasional blood tinged saliva. This is normal.
- Use Viscous Xylocaine every 3-4 hours or Cepastat Lozenges as needed to relieve sore throat. Your physician will provide you with a prescription for pain medication and antibiotics. Take them as prescribed.
- Call the office if you are experiencing:
* Excessive pain with inability to swallow.
* Fever greater than 101.5 degrees.
* Continuous bleeding or vomiting.
* Difficulty breathing.
- Before you leave the office be sure you have a follow-up appointment.